One Day at a Time

Moses: AC (After Cyst)

We have entered those long days I had predicted not so long ago.

Actually, the last 10 minutes were probably the longest yet.

You see, as I was just sitting down to write this long overdue post, I flipped open the MacBook and then BAM!

Doors in the house start slamming shut.  Raindrops batter against the windows.  Debris blows down the street.  That evening sunshine is gone.

You guessed it: active weather.

Holy cumulonimbus clouds! (Photo actually from a Calgary thunderstorm this July - Photo from the Calgary Sun)

In fact, as I am now actually writing the post, the storm has amped up and some decent hail is pelleting the neighbourhood.

The trusty The Weather Network, my go-to authority on all things weather, confirms it: severe thunderstorm warning.

Normally a typical summer storm wouldn’t be such a big deal – except that Moses has been spending a lot of time out in the back yard these days (for ease of bathroom purposes).

The Husband is not home, so it was up to me to get big Mo’ inside.

It wasn’t pretty, but I am somewhat proud (and sore) to say got it done.  I would like to say Moses helped the task a little more than he did, as he only half-heartedly flutter-kicked his back legs while I hauled him up the (new, improved and extra-long!) ramp into the house; he just didn’t seem to care as much about the seeking shelter from the storm.

What’s a little hernia to have Moses now snoring contently beside me as I type?

As you may recall, Moses’ cyst-removal surgery was last Monday.  We were able to bring him home two days later, last Wednesday evening, and every day in the last week has been a series of small victories and minor improvements.

But hey – there are both victories and improvements!

A vet visit to see Moses, the day after surgery.

It took a team of four people to get all 179 lbs. of Moses in the car to take him home and that first day he was reluctant to even lift his head and hold it up.

We were given lots of homework, and each day he moves his head, neck and front legs a little more and props himself up a little higher.

So much so that he can now hold himself up in a sit for a few seconds unassisted (though he still needs help getting up) and yesterday he was able to do this:

He stands!

Granted, he needed some help getting up there, it wasn’t for very long, and the Husband is there hanging on to the hardness in case he faltered, but hey, it’s all about the small successes.

Each day we’re seeing small gains in movement and capability, and we’re optimistic looking ahead.  For the next 2 months, the focus is on getting him up and about and working on our homework.

No matter how well he may be doing, we’re not to even think about 5 minute walks until it has been 8 weeks post-surgery.  Then a very slow and gradual progression in exercise for another 2 months – but come the end of November he should be able to take stairs, run, play, and go back to hour long walks.  That’s the dream, anyway, and I think we’ll get there.

I think Moses thinks so, too.

"What cyst?"

However, if I could go back and change one thing, I would have started pumping iron months ago in advance of this heavy lifting.

Actually, scratch that.  If I could change one thing it would be upgrade to Tier 4 pet insurance so it all would’ve been paid for.  But if I could change two things….

About ThatJenK
Writing from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. 90% pictures of my dogs; 10% miscellaneous opinions nobody asked for.

6 Responses to One Day at a Time

  1. That face… I want to kiss that nose, but it would be such an assault on his dignity.

    One small puppy step at a time. He’ll heal. After all, Newfoundland is nothing if not resilient, and it must have passed that trait on to its dogs, right?

    • thatjenk says:

      Haha… no dignity assault, but it would require entering the Drool Splash Zone. It’s like sitting in the first row at Blue Man Group – everyone gets a poncho!

  2. 2browndawgs says:

    Here’s to the small steps! For such a short time post-op it sounds like Moses is doing remarkably well. He has a certain spark in his eyes. After Thunder had his bloat surgery, it was probably three full weeks before I saw that spark in his eyes. I also know what a tough time I had getting him in the car for his recheck. He is only 95 pounds and he was fairly mobile. I cannot imagine how you manage to move such a big doggie. Hopefully each day finds all of you stronger! Please keep us updated.

  3. so glad to hear he is making progress slowly but surely. wishing you all the best!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: