Longer Days Ahead

Though I had alluded to it in my last post, I thought I probably shouldn’t leave my readers and friends hanging when it comes to Moses’ health roller-coaster.

Moses was diagnosed with a spinal cyst.

Last Monday, we had our meeting with the surgeon.  I can’t say we went there completely objective and undecided; in the days leading up to the appointment we’d pretty much decided we’d be going forward with surgery if we got the reassurances we were looking for.

We did.

The studies I had found on my own were accurate representations of a prognosis: short-term outcome (up to 2 years post-surgery) has very good odds (93%), and long-term outcome has decent odds (70%) – which actually is considered quite positive when it’s a neurological condition.  And Moses’ overall health otherwise, age, and our relatively early diagnosis all work in his favour.  Not to mention the surgeon has experience with these cysts and the procedure and is confident herself.

The other side of the conversation is that without surgery, Moses will not get better.  Medical management may slow progression, but he won’t gain any motion back and will certainly continue to get worse.

So Moses goes in for surgery on Monday.

He will probably be in the vet’s care for a couple of days and will need a lot of help getting around, and some physio appointments.

The Husband has already started thinking about how to put together a wheelchair to assist in the rehab process, similar to the one to the left.

And the long-term hope is that Moses returns to a happy, healthy, moderately active dog at the end of it all.

No more carting, no extraneous hikes in the mountains, but we’d like to see him able to play and swim again, go back to hour-long daily walks, and just generally accompany us everywhere, just like before.

There’s a certain amount of anxiety about how things will go on Monday, but we’re staying positive.

And no, going forward with surgery wasn’t the cheapest decision – but he’s worth it.

Fingers crossed.

About ThatJenK
Writing from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. 90% pictures of my dogs; 10% miscellaneous opinions nobody asked for.

11 Responses to Longer Days Ahead

  1. Tamara says:

    Best wishes Moses, you’ll do great!

  2. 2browndawgs says:

    Best wishes for a positive outcome!

  3. Carla says:

    Hey Jen. Let us know if we can help with any kind of harness or leash or whatever that you may need custom done. Jac Trac has everything in stock and ready to go for you! We will be sending warm thoughts to Moses!

  4. Kelsey says:

    Will be thinking of the big guy on Monday! Best of luck and try not to worry about him too much. He sounds like he’s in great hands!

  5. kenzohw says:

    Best of luck for Moses and your family on Monday!

  6. I’m sure you’re doing the right thing. I’m glad you have the money for it, and I have Moses comes out with flying colours. (No, WordPress, colour with a U is NOT an error!) It’s nice The Husband is handy; I’d have to buy the wheelchair.

  7. CANFarmJulie-Beth says:

    Wishing you guys all the best for Monday!

  8. christielagally says:

    We’ll all think good thoughts for Moses (and Jen) on Monday. Take care!

  9. Jen says:

    Keeping you both in our prayers and thoughts today.

  10. Pingback: One Day at a Time « Back Alley Soapbox

  11. Pingback: Preparing Your Dog for Surgery « Back Alley Soapbox

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: